Total Commander newsletter
Total Commander 9.0a final available!
This is mainly a bugfix
release for Total Commander 9.0. List of bugfixes.
Download Total Commander 9.0a final now (Free update/Demo version)
update is still free for all registered users (also of Windows Commander) - please check our update instructions.
By the end of the year we will stop sending new version notifications by e-mail because they were often deleted by spam filters.
Please use the new manual or automatic update check function, see description here.
Total Commander 9.0 is available now!
There are many new functions and bugfixes, see the list below.
Note: Many new features like
folder/drive icons from Explorer, dimmed hidden files, vertical button bar etc. can be disabled via settings dialog.
New functions in Total Commander 9:
- Use icons for folders and drives from Explorer, can be switched to old icons via main settings - icons
- New button bar icons (optional, can be chosen during first start or via
right click )
- Vertical button bar (can be disabled via main settings - Layout)
- Extra space between lines in file list (configurable via main settings -
- Windows 10: Use Windows Photo Viewer instead of Photo app (disable with wincmd.ini [Configuration] ReplacePhotoApp=0)
- View modes, can be switched
manually via menu "Show", or automatically by rules
- Show icons on folder tabs depending on the displayed folder
- Rubber band selection mode when
using left mouse button selection, disable via settings
- Show up to 3 external devices without drive letter (e.g. Android or Windows Phone) in Alt+F1/F2 drive dropdown list
- Background transfer manager (F5-F2): Show second progress bar with overall progress if available
- Themed text cursor, enable/disable in Configuration - Options - Colors
- Dimmed icons for hidden files/folders (configurable via main settings - Icons)
- Show small green arrow as overlay icon when a folder is open, e.g. in tree or when
opening very large folder
- Click on tab header with "locked but directory changed allowed" returns to base directory of that tab
- Better support for
high resolution screens
- Default font is now "Segoe UI regular" for new installations
- Set scaling of dialog boxes (OverrideDPI) via main settings -
- Option to show sizes with 1k=1000bytes instead of 1k=1024bytes
- Option to show numbers in TBytes, with 1 or 2 decimal digits
- Unicode support for descript.ion files
- Inplace rename: Use up/down arrow to jump to previous/next
- F5 Copy/F6 Move: Show combobox with all open tabs and all subdirectories in the target panel (Shift: Source panel)
- F5 copy: Skip empty
dirs by appending |**\ to line "only files of this type"
- Create and verify additional checksum types: SHA224, SHA384, SHA3_224, SHA3_256, SHA3_384, SHA3_512
- Create checksums separately in each directory
- Speed up hash check of MD5, SHA1, SHA256, SHA384 and SHA512 by using Microsoft Crypto API functions
Delete files directly (not to recycle bin): In case of errors, ask at the end of the entire operation
- Delete files directly: Also offer "Skip all" when a file is missing
Re-use threads for delete, loading hints and ID-lists
- Disable overwrite confirmation in sync: wincmd.ini [Confirmation] SyncConfirmOverwrite=0
- Support TLS 1.1 and 1.2 with new openssl dlls (optional) or Windows sChannel library
- Use Windows
certificate stores "ROOT" and "CA" to verify purchased server certificates
- Always verify certificates now, even when wincmd.pem is missing, since we use the root certs from
Internet Explorer now
- Self-signed certs can be trusted with a checkbox in the certificate dialog
- ZIP unpacker: Support new compression method XZ (method 95) with updated tcmdlzma.dll and tclzma64.dll
- Support invalid ZIP archives with no CRC in the local header and behind the zip
file, e.g. created by owncloud
- Support invalid ZIP archives with UTF-8-encoded names but missing UTF-8 flag (created by Dropbox)
- Use "Everything" tool for much faster search on NTFS drives, also on network shares if possible
- Search with content plugins
for text on main search page
- Regular expressions supported in more types: Unicode UTF-8+UTF-16, Office XML
- New option "Older than" working just like
"Not older than"
- Standalone search: Allow to search in search results (after feed to listbox) and selected files
- Show only differences, with additional lines above/below the differences, including editing
- Edit mode: triple click now selects entire
- New buttons to insert other fields like parent [P]
- Improved range
- If there are duplicate names, or names that already exist, offer to auto-rename to "name (2).ext", "name (3).ext" etc.
Undo now supports multiple undo steps (Undo multiple rename operations).
- Ctrl+Shift+Q: Opens Quick View in separate Lister
window, updates contents when going to other file
- View files of type RTF, BMP, JPG, PNG, GIF, ICO, HTML with internal viewers also in read-protected folders (via DuplicateHandle)
- Use larger buffer sizes to handle longer blocks of text without line breaks
- Double click/ENTER:
Follow .url files pointing to directories within Total Commander. Disable via wincmd.ini
- Manual update check via menu Help - Check for updates now, using DNS lookup (TXT record)
- Automatic update check, can be enabled in manual update check function
- Ctrl+B in search result = Go to directory of file under cursor
virtual folders like the Network Neighborhood asynchronously (faster initial response) and in a background thread
- Directory history: Remember name under cursor and position in list when entering a
subdir via double click/Enter
- Content plugins: new content field chooser dialog instead of menu. Also show field preview for file/dir under cursor
dirs: Compare with multi-part ZIP, supports compare by content and view
- Buttonbar, Start menu: New Parameter %C1..%C9, %c1..%c9
- to focus specific panels, including tree: cm_FocusSrc, cm_FocusTrg, cm_FocusLeftTree etc.
- to select/unselect one or more files:
cm_Select, cm_Unselect, cm_Reverse
- to open lister: cm_ListOnly, cm_ListMulti, cm_ListInternalMulti, cm_SeparateQuickView, cm_SeparateQuickInternalOnly
- to save
tabs to a specified file: SAVETABS, SAVETABSL, SAVETABSR, SAVETABS2, SAVETABS2L, SAVETABS2R
- cm_wait, accepting wait time in milliseconds, e.g. cm_wait 1000. Can be combined, e.g. em_cmd1,cm_wait
- cm_100percent accepts parameter 1..100 to set specific position of divider
- Send WM_USER+50 to TC to get various numerical values like index of
current file, first file, control window handles etc. (see history.txt)
Installer (of the demo version):
- The Installer now accepts the
following options: /AHLMGDUK
D=Create desktop icon,
U=Update if target exists,
K=installs wincmd.key file located in same directory
as the installer.
All options accept parameters 1 or 0, e.g. G0 or G1. L accepts language Nr. from install.inf, e.g. L18=Romanian
- Note: All options MUST be passed as a single parameter after a
single slash, not as separate parameters